Sunday, August 26, 2012

170.0 Amazing Restaurant

Me at the Sydney Street Cafe in St. Louis

This is my 100th post!  I forgot to post yesterday, but it was my 2 year anniversary with Jack.  To celebrate our anniversary we wanted to go to a nice restaurant and a friend of Jack's told him that the Sydney Street Cafe was very good.  Once we looked it up online and found out that ZAGAT had given it a review of "extraordinary to perfection," we knew had had to try it.  When we got there, lots of things looked great on the menu and I knew I'd have a hard time deciding.  I noticed there was the option of the "chef's tasting menu," but it sounded like something elite and expensive so I ignored it.  I'm glad Jack asked our waiter about it, because it turned out to be a surprisingly affordable 5 course meal with wine pairing.  We decided to go with it and were not disappointed!  In fact, almost every dish that came out just completely astonished us with its exquisite deliciousness, uniqueness, and attention to detail.  The chef was an absolute genius.  Here's what we had:

Course 1: King Salmon Crudo garbanzos, pickled rhubarb, puffed rice, and cream cheese gribiche
Course 2: Foie Gras & Strawberries torchon with a peanut butter crunch, strawberry salad and sorbet
                  Lobster Turnovers with a tomato brandy reduction
Course 3: Pan Roasted Redfish Ham hock and ginger dumplings, broccoli, preserved lemon, and a ham-hock broth
                  Halibut Dairyless creamed corn, crawfish, butttermilk panna cotta, and sauce nantua
Course 4: Rabbit Rissole Crispy rabbit rissole, kohlrabi and cucumber slaw, rabbit bratwurst, peach chutney, and kohlrabi kimchi
                  Missouri Lamb Trio  Slow roasted lamb shoulder, ragout of rib and neck, chop with beet risotto, cheese curds, and jus
Course 5: Summer Berries Goat Cheese Mousse, Brown Butter, Tender Pistachios, Cheesecake Puree, Raspberry-Beet Sorbet
                  Dark Chocolate Turtle Brownie with Pecan Brittle and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

It was the best meal we've ever had, hands down.  Nothing else even comes close!  All right, here's the breakdown of the last couple days:

Friday I went to an hour-long pilates class.  There actually wasn't a lick of pilates in it, but it was a great (and very difficult) workout that worked a lot of muscles.  I'm still sore!  After that I did the elliptical for 6 minutes, walked for 20 minutes, then ran half a mile.  Here's what I ate:

granola bar
muscle milk
1/2 avocado
glass of V8
large portion of leftover candied sweet potatoes
medium portion of fried oysters
about 6 ounces of a 12 oz. prime rib (I cut off all the fat)
side of green beans with bacon
6 Bud Lights
1 fruity shot
small portion of pickled beets with goat cheese

Yesterday I did a 20 minute pilates video then another 40 minute one, adding up to an hour.  Here's what I ate:

2 biscuits with sausage gravy
5 course dinner with wine pairings
3 cocktails

No comments:

Post a Comment