Sunday, June 17, 2012

? Cooking With Our Harvest

Grilled zucchini/summer squash and wilted lettuce salad with crumbled bacon

I didn't go to the gym today so I didn't weigh myself.  I didn't exercise at all because I felt so lazy all day.  I did do some work around the house, including cleaning and laundry, and made dinner with Jack.  Jack went to the garden today and came back with lots of treats--including our first tomato!!  It was very good.  We grilled some salmon (a huge slab of it actually) and squash shown above, and I made the salad by pouring hot bacon grease mixed with red wine vinegar and sugar onto the lettuce and mixing it up.  Then I crumbled the bacon on top.  I know it's not the healthiest way to eat lettuce, but it was delicious and it's a recipe that's been in Jack's family for generations.

I think I was pretty successful at the beer festival yesterday.  I drank a little more than I had planned to, but definitely not as much as last year and certainly not as much as most people around me.  My favorite beer was the Vanilla Cream Ale from Exit 6 Brewery in Cottleville.  I had tried it before, but only realized how truly great it was when I compared it to all the other beers.  It tastes like you're drinking ice cream!

Yesterday I did my regular workout with a total distance of 5 miles.  Here's what I ate:

hardboiled egg
leftover bratwurst with mayo and hot sauce
nonfat greek yogurt
2 bites of festival bratwurst
many beers
parmesan dill popcorn
chocolate dipped cookies
potato chips

No comments:

Post a Comment