Tuesday, July 17, 2012

177.4 When It Gets Tough...Keep Going!

Running has been slightly difficult for me of late.  I either feel extremely tired, my legs feel like lead, or I have terrible shin splints afterwards.  I've really been taking steps backwards in terms of goal of getting back to running 3 miles a day.  This morning I wondered whether my feelings of low energy may be from not feeding myself enough for breakfast.  I usually have only either a hardboiled egg or cereal for breakfast, and today I had both.  I think it helped, as I was able to run my usual distance (actually a little more) and the shin splints weren't as bad.  They were still bad enough, however, that I didn't feel up to running another half mile afterwards.

When I first started running today, it felt like I was wearing lead shoes.  I just didn't have that bounce in my step that I was feeling a couple weeks ago.  I told myself I'd probably only be able to run half a mile at a time, just like yesterday.  But half a mile rolled around and I felt a little better, so I thought I'd go until .8.  When I got to .8, I was already feeling pretty good so I extended my goal to a mile.  When I got to a mile I decided I could do my regular distance!  And once I was close enough to that I decided to stretch it a little further this time to 1.7 miles.  This was still not a big step forward since I was running at 6.5 mph the whole time, but it just goes to show that when working out seems tough at times, just keep going and eventually it gets easier!  Just don't give up.

I lost .8 lbs yesterday.  It would be nice if I could lose at least 3 more lbs by the end of this week, so that I still have some net weight loss for this week.

Yesterday for my workout I went to the muscle works class, walked half a mile, ran half a mile, walked another half mile, ran another half mile, and walked another half mile.  Here's what I ate:

hardboiled egg
small glass of orange juice
half an avocado
5 raw broccoli floret with a small amount of dip
salad with leftover tuna steak and light italian dressing
small glass of strawberry milk
nonfat greek yogurt
dinner at Chevy's: chips and salsa, 1 fish taco, a few bites of rice and beans, and tomalito

No comments:

Post a Comment