Saturday, July 21, 2012

176.6 Carbs and Protein

For the past few days I've been having a hardboiled egg for breakfast instead of cereal.  I was able to run pretty well and my shin splints weren't so bad.  Today I had cereal for breakfast and I found that running made me much less tired than before.  I pushed it out to 1.8 miles and could have gone even longer but I stopped anyway.  After the additional .6 miles, however, my shin splints were pretty bad.  This could be from increasing both my distance and speed (for the .6 miles I gradually increased my speed from 6.8 to 7.0 mph...it started as an accident but I just went with it), but what if it was because of not having any protein?  I can't really think of a reason that protein would help with shin splints, since I don't think they have anything to do with muscles, but it couldn't hurt to experiment here.  Tomorrow I'll try to get both carbs and protein into my breakfast; maybe I'll have a yogurt.  Then I'll see if I both have more energy and feel less sore.

PS--the thing about the carbs makes complete logical sense.  Your body uses sugar first for energy before having to dip into other resources, so it follows that if you sugar up before running, you will be able to run longer before getting tired.  I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

I gained 1.4 lbs yesterday because of eating a giant waffle at Schlafly and drinking beer.  Hopefully most of that weight will be gone tomorrow.  Yesterday for my workout I walked .6 miles, ran 1.7 miles alternating between 6.6 and 6.7 mph, walked .6 more miles, and ran .6 more miles, starting at 6.8 mph and gradually increasing my speed to 7.0 mph (it got really difficult towards the end but also felt great!).  Here's what I ate:

hardboiled egg
2% fat greek yogurt
1/2 leftover apricot chicken breast
small portion leftover vegetable tian
8 oz. pom juice
mussels
chunk of french baguette
belgian waffle with syrup, strawberries, and blueberries
3.5 beers

No comments:

Post a Comment